TD Ameritrade API Agreement (“Agreement”)
Last updated on November 04, 2014
This Agreement applies to registered and approved individual TD Ameritrade API developers (“Developers”) only. If you have not already done so,
please request access to the API by emailing TD Ameritrade API Support.
By agreeing to these terms, you represent and warrant that you have and maintain an active TD Ameritrade brokerage account (“Account”) that
meets one or both of the following criteria: (a) your Account value is not less than $500,000; and/or (b) you place at least 30 trades per quarter
through your Account. If at any time you no longer meet these requirements, you may be denied access to API.
1) TD Ameritrade owns all rights, title and interest in and to its trading platforms and associated application programming interfaces and user
documentation and reference documentation (collectively, the “API”), their data and any modifications, alterations, translations or derivative
works relating to the API, including but not limited to any code written by TD Ameritrade in connection with the API. TD Ameritrade protects its rights,
title and interest to the fullest extent of the law. You may not use the API material except as provided in this Agreement.
2) The API is non-public information, which TD Ameritrade considers confidential and proprietary. You may not copy, disclose, publish, republish, post,
distribute, or otherwise disclose the API in any way for any reason, other than as expressly permitted in this Agreement.
3) TD Ameritrade grants you, Developer, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, royalty-free, limited, revocable license to use the API to
develop an automated trading platform, tool, or interface, for your personal use, which platform, tool, or interface pulls market data and/or your Account
data from TD Ameritrade’s systems. This license is personal to you, and you may only use it for your own personal, non-commercial use. You may only
access and use the API and Forums (defined below) using the approved Developer userID assigned to you by TD Ameritrade. No other use is permitted without the express prior written consent of TD Ameritrade.
4) Other than the limited license granted above, you may not use, copy, alter, adapt, modify, reproduce, display, distribute, transmit, broadcast, sell,
license, publish, rent, lease, sublicense, transfer, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, create derivative works based on or otherwise
exploit the API for any purpose whatsoever. You may not republish the API, or incorporate the API, or any portion of it, in any database, compilation,
archive or cache. You may not copy, alter, adapt, modify, reproduce, display, or distribute any of the API content or any data extracted using the API to
others, whether or not for payment or other consideration, without express prior written consent from TD Ameritrade. You may not remove, alter or obscure
any trademark, copyright, legal or proprietary notice in or on any portion of the API. You may not circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security
related features of the API or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of the API or enforce limitations on use of the API. You may not monetize
any portion of the API or use it for any commercial or non-personal purpose. You may not engage in any data mining of personal information. You may not
engage in any data gathering or extraction method that results in the storage or caching of data for more than 24 consecutive hours in connection with your
use of the API without express prior written consent from TD Ameritrade. You may not use the API to do anything designed to disrupt, damage or limit the
functioning of the API or any TD Ameritrade software, hardware or system. And you may not allow or assist any third party (whether or not for your benefit)
to do anything that would violate the terms of this Agreement.
5) You may not use the API or Forums (defined below) in any way that results in or reasonably could result in any security or data breach with respect to
TD Ameritrade, or any of its affiliates, or a violation of any applicable law or regulation. You may not use the API or Forums with any software or program
that may contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, bots or any other computer code or files that are designed to disrupt, damage or limit the
functioning of the API, Forums, or any TD Ameritrade software, hardware, or systems, including without limitation by creating spam Forum registrations. You
may not use the API or Forums in any way that may interfere with the operation of an TD Ameritrade software, hardware, or system, such as broadcast
attacks, or attempt to overload the system.
In addition, the following prohibitions apply to your use of the Developer forums available at apiforums.tdameritrade.com (the “Forums”):
· Making comments that contain harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, pornographic, obscene, libelous, hateful,
racist, sexist, or homophobic language or content, or are otherwise objectionable, such as by using profanity;
· Using or posting any content that belongs to other people and passing it off as your own;
· Implying or stating, directly or indirectly, that you are affiliated with or endorsed by TD Ameritrade or any of its parent, affiliate or subsidiary
· Using the Forums to harass or stalk any person;
· Using, disrupting or interfering with others’ enjoyment or use of the Forums;
· Posting under another person's name or impersonating another person or entity on the Forums or otherwise misrepresenting yourself;
· Postings that contain personal details or private information about any other person, including TD Ameritrade employees;
· Postings that may be considered spamming or contain chain letters or any other form of unauthorized solicitation, including the solicitation of
· Postings that infringe any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, privacy right, right of publicity, or other proprietary or intellectual
property right of another person or entity;
· Postings that contain trade secrets, insider information, proprietary information, or other confidential information learned or disclosed as part of
an employment relationship or subject to a nondisclosure agreement;
· Using the Forums to discuss how to commit illegal acts or encourage illegal activity of any kind, including any matters that would violate
securities or antitrust laws or U.S. export laws;
· Using the Forums for a commercial purpose, including without limitation, advertising or promoting a product or service, or posting any job
solicitation or offer;
· Postings that contain commercial advertising or promotions or junk mail of any kind;
· Posting any charitable solicitation, advertising any charitable activity, or soliciting funds or pledges in connection with any charity, fundraiser
or other charitable purpose;
· Offering your own promotions, sweepstakes, contests, etc. on the Forums.
6) Your dealings or communications with any other user of the Forums are solely between you and that third party. TD Ameritrade does not verify or
guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted
message. We have no control over how other users of the Forums will use the information you post or otherwise make available on the Forums. The Forum
administrators and moderators have the right, but are under no obligation, to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message or individual
user that does not comply with this Agreement. Even though the Forums are only open to registered users, the Forums should not be deemed a confidential
community. Therefore, do not post or otherwise make available anything you would not want others to see in public.
7) Your use of applications developed by you using the API is at your own risk. TD Ameritrade has no obligation to provide you with any development or
customer support in connection with your use of the API or Forums.
8) This Agreement will continue until terminated by one of the parties. TD Ameritrade may terminate this Agreement for any reason, in TD Ameritrade’s
sole discretion. If you wish to stop using the API (and thereby terminate your license under this Agreement), please email TD Ameritrade API Support. Upon any termination of this Agreement, you will immediately stop using the API and Forums and destroy any and all copies
of the API in your possession or control.
9) Except for any express warranties set forth in thIS agreement, TD AMERITRADE hereby EXPRESSLY disclaims all warranties regarding THE API, including,
without limitation, warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, as well as any warranties arising out of course
of dealing, usage or trade.
10) If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful or unenforceable in any respect, the court may reform such provision so as to render it
enforceable (or, if it is not possible to reform such provision so as to make it enforceable, to delete such provision); and, as so reformed or modified,
fully enforce this Agreement. The failure of either party to insist upon a strict performance of or to seek remedy of any one of the terms or conditions of
this Agreement or to exercise any right, remedy or election set forth in this Agreement or permitted by law will not constitute or be construed as a waiver
or relinquishment for the future of such term, condition, right, remedy or election, but such items will continue and remain in force and effect.
11) Any disputes related to your TD Ameritrade client account(s), including your Account, or arising out of trading activities, are governed by your Client
Agreement with TD Ameritrade. All other disputes related to this Agreement, including without limitation any intellectual property or data security
dispute, shall be subject to the following: (a) this Agreement and its interpretation shall be governed by the laws of the State of Nebraska without giving
effect to principles of conflict of laws; (b) you consent to jurisdiction in the State of Nebraska and agree that the courts within Nebraska shall have
exclusive jurisdiction over any issue regarding this Agreement (excluding any disputes governed by your Client Agreement); and (c) THE PARTIES HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO A TRIAL BY JURY IN ANY LITIGATION RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT.
12) This Agreement, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be assigned, transferred, delegated, or sublicensed by you, but may be assigned,
transferred, delegated, and sublicensed by TD Ameritrade without restriction.
13) If there is any conflict between this Agreement and any help text, email, chat discussion, user manual or other documentation relating to the API, this
Agreement will govern, whether such other documentation is prior to or subsequent to this Agreement.
By checking “I accept the Board Rules.” below, you are acknowledging that you have read the above Agreement that applies to your use of the
API and Forums, and that you agree to abide by its terms and conditions.